We were looking for an idea how to present our jewellery collection. We came up with the idea of making a decoration tree. Little birds in a tree! Do you want to know how to create this fun decoration tree? Here is a DIY!
What do you need:
- Wallpaper glue
- Brushes or rollers
- Cutting mat
- Newspaper and kraft paper
Good to know:
Only one part of a half tree is described in the instruction. So you have to make one more to get a hole tree. The trees we have are two separate parts so you can put down the tree in all kinds of ways. Or you can draw a whole tree on a piece of cardboard. That’s possible too.
Let’s get started!
We will explain you step by step how to make the decoration tree:
- The tree must consist of cardboard. We happen to have a large stock of cardboard boxes. If you don’t have a large stock of cardboard, then ask supermarkets or retail stores for lots of cardboards. If you want a big or small tree, then you’ll need more or less cardboards. The choice is up to you.
- When you have collected your cardboard, you are now going to decide what the dimensions will be of your tree.
We decided to make a rectangle first out of carboard, so that we can draw a tree later on. Our rectangle consisted of 3 layers of cardboard, and the dimensions were 71 x 36 inch (1,80 x 90 cm).
- To attach the rectangles, you’ll need your brushes and a bunch of wallpaper glue. Because you are going to stick 3 layers of cardboard together so that the tree is solid enough.
- You must make sure that the cardboard is firmly glued together. Put some heavy objects on the cardboard and stick some tape around the edges to be sure that the cardboard sticks together.
- Let the cardboard dry for one day.
- When the cardboard is dry. You’ll have 1 large sheet of cardboard of 3 layers.
- The next step is to stick newspaper on the cardboard. This makes the cardboard firmer. Make sure that you will stick a thick layer of newspapers on the cardboard.
- Let it dry for one day.
- If the cardboard is dry, it’s time to draw the tree. You can choose wat kind of tree you want, you can even make a Christmas tree. It is easier to look for a template from a tree on the internet, and then draw it on the cardboard.
- If you have drawn your tree you can start cutting it out. Here you’ll need a cutting mat and a cutter. This will take some time!
- When you have cut out your tree you will paste it with paper mache. We first used newspaper for this to wrap up the cardboard edges, and then we also pasted thick brown paper over it. Let your tree dry well!
- And voila your decoration tree is ready! You can also paint your tree a nice color, it’s up to you!
- Let the cardboard dry thoroughly.
- Stick paper mache tightly onto the cardboard.
- Use a break-off knife.